Saturday, November 22, 2008

My how the time flies


It has been a long month with many long hours of work and flights and hotels. I left Nov 1 and returned Nov 20. Of course the up side to it all is I got to spend time with the sunshine baby, Gracie. Her smile makes the day just seem better. The time away was full of challenges and adventures. It all started in Grande Prairie where at set up the manager informed me she was quitting but would stay the week, than off to Calgary where another manager decided not to show up for work and sent me an email quitting. Such a thoughtful person. Off to Lloyd to set up where I thought I was so clever to book a flight to save some time in travelling from Calgary, a 6 hour trip. I needed to train a new manager there and so I had book the weekend to do that. Hubby came up to spend the weekend, he claimed that he missed me but I think it was the Tony Roma bribe. All was going good until I had a 'planes,trains and automobile' experience. My flight from Lloyd was cancelled due to fog and there was not another one for 2 days. So I called a cab, and happened to get the same guy who had just dropped me off, and he took me to the bus depot. It was closed and wouldn't open for 2 hours however the shipping people were there, being homeless with a suitcase, laptop and a box of spoons I took courage from Del and begged them to let me in. I offered them some really good spoons that they could use for just about anything in exchange for letting me camp out until the terminal reopened. They decided I didn't look like a criminal so they let me stay while they locked me in. So there I sat for 2 hours with my suitcase, laptop(no Internet)and box of spoons waiting for my awaited trip to Edmonton by greyhound. Lucky for me there was a plug in so I could recharge my phone and get caught on work and chat with friends. My bus arrived at the Edmonton terminal at 11:30 pm and I got home to my bed at about 1 only to take another cab to the airport at 6:00am so I could make my flight to Calgary, where I needed to be to train a new manager . All was going pretty good, flight was on time and I slept most of the way until I got to the parking lot with my suitcase, laptop and box of spoons and couldn't find my van. After an hour of wondering around on level 5 and 6 of the Calgary airport parkade, I found someone who told me there was also long term parking on level 2. Yes I did offer him some spoons for his help. He said he would take a raincheck on that. Oh the sweet sound of a horn honk as I walked out on that level and hit my lock button. I hit it a couple of more times just to hear the noise and direct me to the van. Finally all seems to be well underway, training a new manager who is really good and I can go home. I packed all my stuff from Christine's and made one final stop on my way home but wait a call comes from Toronto and I need to let another manager go. Back to the mall to interview hire and fire. Two more days of training, and unpack the van and pack it up again. The life of the homeless, food court food and living out of a suitcase is not to glamorous and I thought this would be a better year. I guess it never will be but I did learn with a box a spoons you can just about do anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like quite a month. I am glad that I am not in your shoes. Hope this next month is better.
amber

DC said...

Well, then, I think I want a box of spoons for Christmas.