Monday, April 19, 2010
Seem to be doing things I have put off
This year it appears that I am doing things that I have wanted to do for a long time and have put off. First it was snowshoeing, than skating and last week I tackled the 'hill'. I have always wanted to walk up Boudreau hill. I have walked in the Braeside and Forest lawn ravines and there are some pretty good hills in there but the look of the Boudreau from the botton to the top challenged me. Last week I decided to just do it and started in the Forest Lawn ravine crossing over to the Braeside ravine and tackled those hills. Gaining some courage as I went downhill I could see and hear the road. I went a block too far to start up the incline and realized that I had also gone a block off to the west and ended up at Sturgeon Road. Oh well what is an exta block or 3. I decided that I would enjoy the yards as I walked and only look at the road at my feet and not look too far up. I did bring the cell phone in case I needed some help. It was an enjoyable walk with the sky blue at 7:45 pm and only a few dogs barking. When I had set out my goal was to accomplish this walk in 90 mins. I started at the base of the hill at 8:25 and ended at the top at 8:40. I thought, hey I can make it home in 60 mins total so I picked up the pace and did finish at 8:45 pm. I only stopped twice once for the need to water (the trees were greatful) and the other to stand at the top of the hill and look down. It did feel good to have made it and finding it not such a big hill after all. So I learned that the road ahead of me looked flat if I did not look up and become overwhelmed and to move at a pace that I could handle, also to set my own time. A good life lesson for me. I could walk alone and enjoy the trees and yards with some dogs barking. It was nice to have some quiet time and I did get a chuckle out of the all the interesting cars out for a drive. The expensive fancy convertibles and some classics all out to enjoy the warm summer like evening. I plan on doing this walk once a week and to decrease the time. Next time I will take a pedometer to see how far it is. It is good to get the blood flowing and feel the muscles working and to accomplish small things. Nature for me teaches me many things and brings peace into my life. I wonder as I walk, who walked this path before hundreds of years ago and what did it look like. I marvel at all the looks and shapes of leaves and branches with their many smells. I see the trees quietly growing and standing firm for beauty and protection. I feel the sadness of large old trees now cut with their large stumps still left behind to remind us of the many years it had stood there. I think am I just breathing this air and offering nothing back to make my footprint here of any value. Being in nature to me is an evaluation for me of all that I know to be true and to press forward and reflect on good things. I will post pictures next time of what I see and my hill.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds nice
Post a Comment