Monday, April 12, 2010

Family History is interesting

I want to record this before I forget and or lose the information. I called my dad to ask him if he had the death date for his brother, so I could do his temple work. I didn't tell dad that part but it got him looking for the information. He called tonight with the date and after talking with him he mentioned there was a guy who lives in Edson by the name of Helmut Hohhne and he knew the family back in the "old country". He happened to have the phone number so of course I called right away and it turns out he knew my father's grandparents in Poland. He told me that August Hiiske, travelled with his family in 1939 to Berlin. Apparently they had lived in this little village called Plaschew, Poland and were neighbours. In 1939 the Russians told them they had to leave and because they had German citizenship they had to go back to Germany. They arrived in Lichterfelde, which were barracks with tall fences around the camp. He said it was a nice camp with water and toilet facilities but it was very cold as they left in Dec. They went by rail car and it was cold. My great grandfather was their neighbour and had told them of his children that had left to go to Canada and Brazil. It was just the two "old people" left so they travelled together. He remember Julie, August second wife taking what belongings she could on a wagon and drove the horses. August died in Jan 1940. He had been sick and no one knew what he died of but thought pneumonia because of the cold and lack of warm clothes and bedding.
When I mentioned who I was he asked me which daughter I was and when I told him the oldest he said the one that lived in Whitecourt. I think his memory is pretty good.


The following is what I found on these barracks


(The parade grounds)

Lichterfelde Kaserne, southwest of the Berlin downtown area, was an old Prussian cadet training school. The Nazis took it over in 1933, and it became the headquarters of Hitler's body guard regiment, the Leibstandarte-SS "Adolf Hitler." Later, newer buildings were built to serve as the headquarters for the Leibstandarte.


The above picture was taken of these barracks in 1934 and yes that is Hilter inpecting the troops

No comments: